A DNS file is a plain textual content entry in a zone file that comprises essential details about a domain, and is a vital a part of the Domain Name System. A site’s zone file comprises a number of DNS information that assist translate human-readable domains into machine-readable IP addresses, together with a site’s title server and mail server info. A DNS file can even embody domain aliases for forwarding domains and subdomains.
Each DNS file in a zone file comprises a single piece of knowledge, which work collectively to offer a full set of directions for accessing that domain and its sources. There are a number of varieties of DNS file that every present completely different info. Some of the commonest varieties of DNS file are listed beneath.
- NS information record the domain’s title servers.
- A information record the domain’s IPv4 deal with.
- AAAA information record the domain’s IPv6 deal with.
- SOA (Start of Authority) information embody authoritative info for a site, together with its main title server and timers that instruct how typically to refresh its DNS info.
- MX information record mail servers that deal with electronic mail despatched to the domain.
- CNAME information create aliases (or canonical names) that ahead requests to a different domain or subdomain.
DNS information in a zone file sometimes observe the identical sample, beginning with the domain or hostname, adopted by a file kind, after which itemizing particulars for that file kind. Several examples are listed beneath.
instance.com IN NS ns1.instance.com
instance.com IN A 192.168.0.1
instance.com IN AAAA 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334
instance.com IN MX mail.instance.com
app.instance.com IN CNAME net.instance.com
Looking to know more Internet Terms