“Information Supply Reference Is Not Legitimate” Error In Excel.
Some customers have reported the “Information supply reference will not be legitimate” error when creating Pivot tables on Microsoft Excel. If you run into this subject, Excel will fail to create a pivot desk because it can’t determine the supply to extract information to create the pivot desk.
You’ll be able to, nevertheless, work round this subject fairly simply, relying on the issue you’re coping with. Right here, we’ve included the listing of causes that would trigger this subject with viable options you possibly can apply to repair this subject.
What Causes the “Information Supply Reference Is Not Legitimate” Error?
The “Information supply reference will not be legitimate” error in Excel principally has to do with invalid characters within the file identify. If the title of your file consists of sq. brackets ‘[.]’, you might be positive to run into this subject. There are different causes, comparable to incorrect vary references, that may trigger this subject that we’ve talked about under:
- Invalid characters within the file identify
- File opened from a browser
- The referred vary doesn’t exist
- Incorrect named vary
Repair: Information Supply Reference is Not Legitimate Error
There’s a vary of options you possibly can attempt by yourself to work round this subject in MS Excel. The options will differ relying on the character of the issue you’ve encountered. Therefore, we suggest you undergo the listing of attainable points behind the information supply reference error in Excel.
Sq. brackets act as invalid characters within the Excel file names. If in case you have sq. brackets included in your Excel file identify (e.g., SampleTitle), you’ll come throughout this subject.
Normally, altering the Excel file identify solves this subject. You’ll have to save your file with a unique identify, then retailer it wherever in your system. When you suspect that is your subject, comply with these steps to rename your Excel file:
- Open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the situation of your Excel file.
- Choose the file and press F2 in your keyboard.
- Rename your file with out the squared bracket.
Save Information From Browser
Did you open your file instantly from a browser? When you don’t save the file to your system, Excel can’t use the referred cells as a supply to create a pivot desk. Moreover, this short-term listing is known as with the squared brackets.
To work round this subject, you’ll have to save the file as an alternative of merely opening it on-line. Listed here are the steps you possibly can refer to save lots of your Excel file to your system:
- Open your workbook in MS Excel.
- From the menu bar, choose File.
- Click on Save as from the sidebar.
- Select the situation you want to retailer your file.
- Title your file with out the sq. brackets.
- Click on Save.
You might have entered an incorrect cell reference whereas filling within the particulars earlier than making a pivot desk. The references you embody within the message field should be the prevailing cell areas within the Excel grid.
You’ll be able to rectify this error by getting into the right cell references within the required area. Observe these steps to appropriately enter cell references whereas getting into the supply into your pivot desk:
- Open your Excel spreadsheet.
- Choose Insert from the menubar.
- Click on Pivot Chart.
- From the window, choose the arrow icon subsequent to Desk/Vary.
- Drag to cursor to suit the cells you want to convert right into a Pivot Desk.
- On the Create PivotTable pop-up, choose the downward arrow icon on the precise.
- Enter the extra particulars and choose OK.
Change Referred Named Vary
You might have made a typing error whereas getting into the named vary as your reference to the pivot desk. If you incorrectly enter your named vary, Excel can’t find the information to create the desk and therefore will provide you with a warning with the next “Information supply reference will not be legitimate” error.
Just like altering the cell references, you possibly can verify when you have appropriately spelled the referred identify vary. To verify the identify of your named vary, comply with these steps:
- Open your worksheet.
- Head to the Formulation tab.
- Choose Title Supervisor.
- The Title Supervisor will show all present named ranges within the new window.
- Enter the named vary appropriately whereas filling within the particulars whereas creating the Pivot Desk.
Check out more article on – How-To tutorial and latest highlights on – Technical News