Outlook OSTCannot Be Opened On Windows.
When launching the Outlook app, you may typically encounter an error message saying, “The file
C:UsersUsernameAppDataLocalMicrosoftOutlookusername@outlook.com.ost cannot be opened.” Since the error can range from one Outlook consumer to a different, it’s possible you’ll not get the identical error message however run into an analogous one.
You come throughout this error message, particularly if you find yourself working offline. But when you attempt to shut it, you then run into one other error corresponding to “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook…The set of folders cannot be opened.”
While it could be a minor glitch inflicting the problem and restarting the appliance or the PC can repair your drawback. But, most frequently than not, you’ll want to apply a number of fixes to resolve the problem.
How to Fix Outlook OST Cannot Be Opened?
From using the already present instruments just like the Inbox restore instrument to re-creating the OST, we have now lined a variety of options that you may undergo to do away with the error.
End All the Outlook Processes
An Outlook course of can cease the Outlook app from launching and as a substitute provide you with an OST error message. So to resolve the issue, you’ll want to finish all of the Outlook-related processes from the Task Manager.
- Launch the duty supervisor (Ctrl + Shift + Esc).
- Click the Processes tab.
- Then, choose and click on the End activity button to finish the processes corresponding to Outlook.exe and Microsoft Outlook. And, in case you have different built-in providers with Outlook like Skype or Lync, finish their processes too.
- Relaunch the Outlook app.
Delete the OST File
If you’re dealing with an error message corresponding to “Errors have been detected in the file,” the OST file is probably corrupted. So, you may attempt deleting the problematic OST file as talked about contained in the error message dialog field. This approach, Outlook will obtain a recent copy of the knowledge from the server (Microsoft Exchange Server).
- First, exit the Outlook app and finish processes associated to it.
- Then, open Outlook and navigate to File > Info.
- Click Account Settings and choose Account Settings.
- If you could have arrange a number of e-mail accounts, select the one you’re having issues with under the Email tab.
- Then, beneath the Data Files tab, choose the
.ostfile inflicting the issue and click on Open File Location above it.
- Delete the OST file. Alternatively, it can save you it someplace else.
Note : After you delete the OST file, Outlook will generate a brand new one if you relaunch Outlook.
In case you can not open the Outlook app, straight delete/transfer the file as follows.
- Press Windows + R, kind
%localappdata%, and click on OK.
- Then, go to Microsoft > Outlook.
- Move/delete the OST file.
Run the Inbox Repair Tool
Outlook has a built-in instrument known as the Inbox Repair Tool that may routinely detect and repair errors inside an Outlook knowledge file just like the OST file.
If you get an error message saying Outlook can’t open the OST file, you may run this instrument to resolve it.
Here’s how to make use of it.
- Open the File Explorer and navigate to one of many following places.
C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice<model>
C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice<model>
C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficerootOffice<model>
C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficerootOffice<model>
- Alternatively, open File Explorer (Windows + E) and enter your C drive. Then, seek for SCANPST.exe within the top-right nook search bar.
- Click the Browse button and choose the OST file talked about within the error message.
- Then, click on the Start button and await the instrument to detect points.
- Once the scan finishes, click on Repair. Additionally, test the Make backup of scanned file earlier than repairing choice to create a duplicate of the OST file beforehand.
- After finishing the restore course of, launch Outlook and see if the error message has been resolved.
Create a New Outlook Profile
The Outlook profile accommodates details about varied e-mail settings, messages, duties, and many others. Also, it might embody knowledge information like a PST or OST file.
Unfortunately, typically the entire profile can get corrupted, as a result of which you’ll run into varied sorts of errors. In this case, you may create a brand new Outlook profile to resolve the problem.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command.
managementand click on OK to open the Control Panel.
- Select the Large icons choice next to View by within the top-right nook.
- Now, click on the Mail (Microsoft Outlook) setting.
- On the Mail Setup window immediate, click on Show Profiles.
- Then, click on the Add button, enter the brand new profile identify and click on OK.
- Next, fill within the mandatory particulars (username, e-mail, password) and select the suitable choices based on your preferences.
- Select the newly created profile beneath the Always use this profile choice within the Mail window.
- Click Apply and OK to save lots of adjustments.
Disable the Add-Ins
Sometimes the add-ins can battle with the Outlook utility and trigger a number of points. They could even cease Outlook from loading or beginning up.
But first, open the Outlook app in secure mode, and if it opens with out throwing any error message, the add-ins are probably accountable.
To disable/take away the add-ins,
- Open Outlook and click on the File menu.
- Click Options within the bottom-left nook.
- Then, choose the Add-ins tab.
- Now, in the precise pane, choose COM Add-ins next to Manage and click on the Go button.
- Uncheck every add-in and test when you nonetheless get the error.
- If the error is resolved, choose the problematic add-in and click on Remove.
Disable the Cached Exchange Mode
Enabling the Cached Exchange Mode helps entry emails on the Exchange Server regardless of having network connection points by caching them into the OST file.
If you run into an error message stating that Outlook can’t open or entry the OST file, you may attempt disabling it.
- Launch the Outlook app.
- Click the File menu on the high and choose Info from the left sidebar.
- In the precise pane, choose Account Settings > Account Settings.
- Choose the Email tab and click on Change. If you could have a number of emails, choose the proper one for which you wish to disable the cached mode.
- On the subsequent window, uncheck the Use Cached Exchange Mode beneath Offline Settings checkbox.
- Click Next and observe the on-screen directions.
- Check in case your problem has been resolved.
Check out more article on – How-To tutorial and latest highlights on – Technical News