How to Screen Record on Mac (2023).
Whether you’re attempting to elucidate one thing new in macOS Ventura, or just sharing a humorous or cool clip with buddies, display screen recording is likely one of the best methods you may go about it. The wonderful thing about macOS is that it has had display screen recording built-in for years, and Apple has made it higher (and simpler to entry with each iteration of the Mac working system). So, in case you’re questioning how one can report the display screen in your MacGuide or iMac, right here is how to display screen report on a Mac.
How to Record Screen on Mac (All Working Methods)
We will likely be discussing all of the ways in which you should use to report the display screen in your Mac device. To keep issues easy, we are going to begin off by discussing the native display screen recording strategies, and we’ll additionally check out some third occasion apps you should use to report your Mac’s display screen. You can use the desk of contents beneath to navigate via this text.
Note: The following strategies for display screen recording on Mac work with all macOS variations together with macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, and macOS Ventura.
How to Record Screen on a Mac Natively
There are two methods you can begin display screen recording in your Mac, though each of them principally result in the identical software to report your Mac’s display screen. We will check out each choices right here.
Using the Screenshot and Recording Toolbar (command + shift + 5)
The best technique to display screen report on Mac, is by utilizing the built-in screenshot utilities toolbar. Here’s how you should use this to report the display screen in your Mac.
- Press command + shift + 5 to open up the screenshot utilities toolbar.
- Select the display screen recording possibility. You can select to report the whole display screen, or part of the display screen by utilizing the choices highlighted within the image beneath.
- Once you’ve made your alternative, merely click on on ‘Record’ to begin recording the display screen in your Mac.
Using QuickTime Player to Screenrecord on Mac
Alternatively, you should use the pre-installed QuickTime Player app to report your Mac’s display screen. Here’s how.
- Open the QuickTime Player app and click on on ‘File’ within the menu bar.
- Here, click on on ‘New Screen Recording’.
- You will see the screenshot utilities toolbar in your display screen, and you should use this to report display screen in macOS simply.
Note: Do be aware that every part in your display screen will likely be recorded whereas display screen recording is operating, together with any notifications that are available in. We would suggest that you simply allow a Focus mode to dam incoming notifications from exhibiting up in your display screen.
How to Stop Screen Recording
Now that your Mac display screen is being recorded, it is best to understand how to show the recording off when you’re completed. Here’s how you are able to do that.
- When your display screen is being recorded, you will notice an icon in your Mac menu bar as proven within the image beneath. Click on this icon to cease the display screen recording.
Record Screen with Audio in Mac
Record Screen with System Audio
One of the few limitations of the native display screen recorder in Mac is the truth that it simply can’t report the system audio. You will solely discover choices to make use of your Mac’s mic as an audio supply to your display screen recordings, and that’s simply not the identical. Fortunately, there’s a simple means (using a 3rd occasion app) to route your Mac’s system audio into the display screen recording software and report display screen with system audio. Here’s what you should do.
Note: You should permit the set up of system extensions in your Mac to make use of Loopback. This entails going into your Mac’s recovery display screen and altering a easy setting. Instructions for a similar are displayed while you first launch the Loopback app.
- Launch Loopback and click on on ‘New Virtual Device‘.
- Click on the ‘plus’ icon beside ‘sources’ and choose the app whose audio you need to report. In this instance, I’m using Microsoft Edge because the app.
- You may also rename the digital device to one thing straightforward to recollect. However, the default “Loopback Audio” works positive as effectively.
- Now, open the screenshot utilities toolbar by urgent command + shift + 5 and click on on the ‘Options’ button.
- Select ‘Loopback Audio’ (or the identify of your digital device) because the microphone as proven within the image beneath.
That’s it. You can now begin the display screen recording and it’ll report the audio enjoying contained in the app(s) you chose whereas creating the digital device in Loopback.
Record Screen with Mic Audio
On the opposite hand, if you wish to use your Mac’s microphone to report audio whereas display screen recording, you are able to do so by following the steps beneath. This can come in useful in case you’re recording your display screen to create a video tutorial or simply need to add some commentary to your display screen recording.
- Open the screenshots utilities toolbar by urgent command + shift + 5 and click on on the ‘Options‘ button.
- Select your Mac’s microphone because the audio supply.
That’s it, now you can begin display screen recording in your Mac and it’ll report audio out of your Mac’s microphone as effectively.
Use Your iPhone as a Mic for Screen Recording
Even although the mic on the brand new MacBooks are actually good, you would possibly need to use your iPhone as a mic for recording even larger high quality audio in your display screen recordings. Fortunately, the way in which to do that is very easy as effectively. Just observe the steps beneath to get began.
- Open the screenshot utilities toolbar by urgent command + shift + 5 and click on on ‘Options‘.
- Now, choose your iPhone’s mic because the audio supply.
That’s it. When you begin recording your Mac’s display screen, it’s going to take the audio out of your iPhone’s mic.
Mac Screen Recording Options and Tools
The native display screen recording software in macOS has a few helpful choices and instruments that you should use to get more management over your display screen captures as effectively. In this part, we are going to check out these choices so you can begin using them as required.
Show/Hide Mouse Clicks in Screen Recording
If you’re making a video tutorial for somebody, you would possibly want to focus on the locations you might be clicking on the display screen. While display screen recording with audio might be helpful, it’s simpler to simply present mouse clicks by annotating them as effectively.
- Open the screenshot utilities toolbar by urgent ‘command + shift + 5‘ and click on ‘Options’.
- Here, allow ‘Show Mouse Clicks‘.
Now, while you report your Mac display screen, it’s going to present the mouse clicks by exhibiting a black circle across the mouse pointer while you click on on one thing.
Set a Timer for Screen Recording
There are instances while you need to do a little bit of a arrange earlier than getting your display screen recording going. If, for some cause, you should delay the beginning of your display screen report by just a few seconds, you are able to do so throughout the native display screen recording utility itself.
- Open the screenshot utilities toolbar by urgent ‘command + shift + 5‘ and click on on ‘Options‘.
- Under the ‘Timer’ choices, choose the delay you require.
Now, while you click on on ‘Record’, there will likely be a countdown earlier than the display screen is recorded.
Change the Destination Folder for Saving Screen Recordings
By default, the display screen recordings you make are saved on the Desktop. This is nice if you wish to rapidly get to your display screen recordings with out having to dig via Finder. However, if you wish to organise your clips higher, you may change the vacation spot folder for display screen recordings.
- Open the screenshot utilities toolbar by urgent ‘command + shift + 5‘ and click on on ‘Options‘.
- Choose the folder the place you need to save the display screen recording.
Remove Audio from Screen Recording
If you could have recorded your Mac’s display screen with audio out of your mic or system audio, and also you later resolve that you’d somewhat have the video play with none sound, you are able to do so simply. Just observe the steps talked about beneath.
- Open the recorded video in QuickTime participant, and click on on ‘Edit’ within the menu bar.
- Click on ‘Remove Audio’ to take away the audio from the recorded file and put it aside.
Trim Recorded Videos
Since I’ve to manually press the cease button within the menu bar to cease recording my Mac display screen, I often find yourself recording a barely longer video than wanted. To be utterly trustworthy, I often find yourself recording a bit additional to start with additionally. If you’re in the identical boat, you’ll be glad to know you may trim your recorded movies with out using a full-fledged video modifying app.
- Open the recorded video in QuickTime Player and click on on ‘Edit’ within the menu bar.
- You will see a timeline below the video together with begin and finish markers as proven within the screenshot beneath.
- Simply alter these to the factors the place you need the video to begin and finish, and save the video file.
That’s it, you could have efficiently trimmed your display screen recording. Pretty straightforward, proper?
Best macOS Screen Recording Apps
Though the built-in display screen recording utility in macOS Ventura is feature-rich sufficient for many use-cases, in case you’re in search of one thing more highly effective, you’ll have to take a look at a 3rd occasion display screen recording utility. There are plenty of apps that you would be able to take a look at, together with paid apps like Camtasia (free trial; $224.99), and free open-source instruments like OBS Studio (free). You can take a look at our detailed checklist of Mac display screen recording apps and select the one which meets your necessities best.
Easily Record the Screen on Your Mac
Well, these are all of the methods you may report the display screen in your Mac. As you may see, the built-in recording utility in macOS is kind of feature-packed and may simply meet the wants of most individuals. You can display screen report in your Mac, add timers, present mouse clicks, and much more. What’s more, you now understand how to report the display screen in your Mac with system audio as effectively; and clearly, there are a ton of third occasion apps to take a look at for energy customers. So, are you using the native display screen recorder in macOS, or are you choosing a 3rd occasion app? Let us know within the feedback.
Check out more article on – How-To tutorial and latest highlights on – Technical News