Thinking of upgrading the interior SSD of your PS5? If you answered sure, you might have come to the suitable place. The PlayStation 5 arrived with help for putting in PS4 video games to exterior storage, however the help for including one other high-speed SSD internally to obtain more PS5 video games got here later. Today, many customers have expanded their system storage by upgrading their consoles with an appropriate M.2 inside SSD for next-gen PS5 video games. While you may get it finished via an expert, we’re right here to information you thru the step-by-step course of to simply set up a brand new inside SSD in your PS5 console. With that stated, let’s take a look at how to improve your PS5’s storage.
Install an M.2 SSD in PS5: A Step-By-Step Guide (2023)
In this text, we are going to information you on how to securely open your PS5, entry the internals, and set up an SSD. But earlier than that, let’s take a look at the necessities and decide which SSD is appropriate on your PlayStation 5.
Prerequisites to Upgrade PS5 Internal Storage
1. Buy an SSD Compatible With PS5
Most PCIe Gen 4 M.2 SSDs obtainable available in the market are appropriate with the PS5. Sony has revealed the under particulars in a help article that lists the M.2 SSD necessities for PS5. As you may see under, Sony recommends a sequential learn pace of 5500 MB/s or quicker.As per the expertise of many customers, barely slower SSDs (under the advisable pace however across the similar vary) work fantastic as properly. You can learn in regards to the expertise of different customers to verify how the expertise will probably be.
We are using the Western Digital Black SN770 ($39.99 on Amazon) on this information, which is an inexpensive Gen 4 M.2 SSD supported on the PS5, albeit it’s just below the advisable pace.
2. Make Sure Your PS5 Is Updated
The PlayStation didn’t include help for storage enlargement out-of-the-box. Sony launched an update back in September 2021 to allow players to put in an M.2 inside SSD of their PS5 consoles. Now, though it has been a very long time because the update launch, ensure that to update your PS5 to the newest firmware update.
3. Heatsink and Other Essential Tools
Finally, the PS5 additionally requires a heatsink on the SSD, which may comfortably match inside the dimension necessities under. We advocate shopping for an appropriate SSD that matches inside these margins and in addition features a heatsink. However, if you have already got an SSD, purchase a heatsink appropriate together with your SSD’s dimension and set up it using the instruction handbook included with it.
Further, to carry out the SSD improve, you’ll need a regular Philips Head screwdriver (cross-head). Also, make sure you do that process on a clear floor, which received’t scratch the physique. You also can place a material or desk pad over the working space.
How to Install or Upgrade SSD on Your PS5
With all the fundamental preparations out of the way in which, it’s now time to show off your PS5 and unplug it. Make positive you’re grounded earlier than you begin this course of after which comply with the steps under.
1. First, you want to take away the facet panel in your PS5. For that, place the console horizontally, such that the PS emblem is dealing with down. Then, you want to stand in direction of the underside of the console. After that, grip the sting next to the facility button together with your left hand and the diagonally reverse nook together with your proper hand.
2. After that, rigorously elevate the quilt up together with your proper hand and pull the quilt in direction of the path of the blu-ray disk (or in direction of you). It ought to begin sliding off now. Put the quilt someplace protected till you want to put it back in.
3. Next, find the SSD enlargement slot in your PS5, situated next to the cooling fan and coated with a steel plate. Remove the quilt using a cross-head screwdriver, as proven under. After that, the SSD slot cowl will come off. Store the screw and SSD cowl safely.
4. Removing the quilt will reveal the M.2 SSD slot with markings for the totally different sizes. Here, you want to take away the screw from the opening marked 110 on the finish of the slot. You additionally must take away the ring-shaped ‘spacer’ beneath that screw. We will transfer the spacer and screw to the right location relying in your SSD’s size. As for what the spacer does, it ensures the SSD you put in in your PS5 is positioned completely.
5. Now, place/ maintain your SSD within the cavity and analyze the M.2 port based mostly in your SSD’s dimension. Next, place the spacer (eliminated within the step above) within the appropriate gap. For instance, the WD SN770 is an M.2 2280 SSD, so we have now positioned the spacer within the gap with the “80” marking.
6. Now, align your SSD in opposition to the M.2 port at a couple of 45-degree angle, and verify that the notches in your PS5’s M.2 port and SSD align. After that, proceed to put in your SSD into the slot in your PS5.
7. When totally inserted, place one finger on the tail facet of your SSD, in order that it lays flat on the opening and the spacer that we beforehand positioned within the gap. Next, screw within the SSD using the screw we eliminated within the third step.
8. If you might have purchased a heatsink on your SSD, it’s time to set up it now. Ensure that it’ll seat completely with the SSD cowl connected. Do consult with the compatibility part in the beginning in the event you aren’t positive in regards to the heatsink being slim sufficient. You may additionally connect the heatsink on the SSD previous to putting in it in your PlayStation 5.
Note: It’s obligatory for the SSD cowl to be connected as properly. You can’t use an SSD with a bigger heatsink – these are unsupported. If you permit the SSD cowl out, it compromisesthe airflow design and your drive could overheat.
9. Next, place the enlargement slot cowl over your newly put in PS5 SSD and screw it back into place using a screwdriver.
10. After that, you want to re-attach the PS5 facet panel by lining it up with the hooks beneath, as highlighted under. Slide it back into place using it in direction of the suitable, which might make the hooks go into their designated places. You will hear an audible click on sound, indicating the panel is securely connected.
11. That’s it. Your PS5 SSD set up is now full. You have efficiently upgraded the storage, however there’s something left for us to do. Finally, join the facility wire and HDMI cable to the console and switch in your PS5 via the facility button on the entrance. Then, you will note the display under, which suggests the SSD has been detected by your PS5. Here, choose the “Format M.2 SSD” possibility after turning on the controller, and shortly after, the PS5 will present your SSD learn pace.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up or transfer my video games between the upgraded M.2 SSD & PS5’s native SSD?
In the PS5, navigate to “Settings -> Storage -> Installation Location” to arrange putting in video games in your new drive and the built-in 825GB SSD selectively, as per your wants. To transfer video games from inside storage to the SSD, navigate to the sport and press the “Options” button. Then, choose the “Move Games and Apps” possibility. You can simply switch video games between your M.2 SSD storage and 825GB SSD.
Will upgrading my PS5 storage with an M.2 SSD void the guarantee?
No, upgrading your PS5 storage with a brand new M2. SSD is not going to voice the console’s guarantee. As lengthy as no bodily harm has been brought on to your PS5 whereas putting in the M.2 SSD, the guarantee will probably be honored.
Do I must take away the M.2 SSD earlier than sending my PS5 for guarantee?
Yes. Sony asks you to take away your inside M.2 SSD earlier than submitting the PlayStation 5 console for guarantee claims and repairs.
Does including an SSD to PS5 make it quicker?
No. The PS5 console’s native storage could be quicker than the SSD you put in, relying on the storage drive you buy. However, the distinction between sport load instances will not be very noticeable.
Is 1TB SSD sufficient for PS5?
It is dependent upon the variety of video games you wish to retailer. Gran Turismo 7, a lately launched racing sport, can take up about 183 GB of space for storing on PlayStation 5.
How many SSD are you able to connect with PS5?
You can set up one further SSD, impartial of the console’s native 825GB storage, in your PlayStation 5. Other than that, you may join exterior SSD storage for storing non-PS5 titles.
Why is PS5 SSD so small?
To meet price calls for and retailer the working system, the interior SSD storage on the PS5 is considerably restricted for a lot of customers. Thankfully, you may improve the PS5 SSD simply.
Enjoy Upgraded Storage on Your PS5
Upgrading the storage in your PS5 wasn’t so onerous, proper? After following the directions above, you should have put in a brand new inside SSD in your PS5. You can now simply retailer more PlayStation 5 video games in your console! Now that you’ve upgraded the storage, try the 20 best PlayStation 5 video games to play proper now. Also, in the event you play FPS multiplayer video games with associates, discover ways to arrange and use Discord on the PS5 console. To wrap it up, if in case you have any doubts, do tell us within the feedback under, and we are going to provide help to out.