How To Fix “File Explorer Not Responding”.
Sometimes, the file explorer instantly stops responding and makes you unable to entry or change any recordsdata inside. It often occurs whenever you attempt making some adjustments or performing some actions on the explorer.
Whenever you encounter the error, attempt restarting Windows Explorer. Run the Task Manager by urgent Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Then, find Windows Explorer within the processes tab, right-click on it and choose End Task to shut it. After that, click on on File > Run new process, then kind
explorer and press Enter to run this course of once more.
If it nonetheless persists, it’s worthwhile to apply the doable options beneath. Also, if the unresponsive File Explorer is slowing down or freezing your system, you possibly can shut Windows Explorer from the Task Manager earlier than executing the fixes.
Check Third-Party Shell Extensions
Unstable shell extensions for Windows Explorer also can trigger the above error. If you employ many looking out or indexing instruments or safety software program, you’ll often run into this problem.
Apart from that, some third-party functions additionally robotically add such extensions.
You have to test every of them to resolve the difficulty. You can use the Autoruns program from Microsoft Sysinternals to take action.
- Download Autoruns and extract the contents.
- Open Autoruns64 if in case you have a 64-bit system or Autoruns in any other case.
- Click on Options on the menu bar and ensure to test Hide Microsoft Entries and Hide Empty Locations.
- Go to the Explorer tab and uncheck all of the shell extensions to disable them.
- Log out of your person account and sign up once more.
- Then, open File Explorer once more and see in the event you nonetheless encounter the error.
If you don’t, you possibly can attempt enabling every extension and test using the identical steps. After figuring out which extension prompted the error, you possibly can right-click on it and choose Delete or uninstall the corresponding app altogether.
Disconnect External Storage Devices
Your system enumerates all storage gadgets related to the PC after you open File Explorer. If any storage gadgets have some points or don’t reply to your system in time, the File Explorer will get caught.
In such a situation, it’s worthwhile to unplug such gadgets and test if the error persists. Try updating or reinstalling the motive force of all gadgets that trigger this error. If even doing so doesn’t resolve it, it’s worthwhile to change to a different storage device as a substitute.
Delete Temporary Files
Your system allocates some free area out of your system drive as digital reminiscence if sufficient RAM is unavailable. So, if in case you have little or no obtainable area, the file explorer will cease responding attributable to inadequate reminiscence sources.
First, delete the short-term recordsdata using the steps beneath.
- Open Run by urgent Win + R.
%temp%and press Enter to open the AppData Temp folder.
- Delete all of the contents. Skip these you possibly can’t delete.
prefetchon Run individually and do the identical for each.
If you continue to don’t have sufficient free area, we suggest visiting our article on How to Clean C Drive and performing the steps talked about there.
If you could have low RAM capability or storage disk area, you also needs to look into extending them.
Close Unnecessary Background Processes
Background processes hog plenty of system reminiscence. If you could have plenty of processes operating in your system, the File explorer might not have sufficient to work correctly, inflicting this problem.
So, it’s worthwhile to finish them to liberate the reminiscence sources.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
- In the Processes tab, search for any Apps or Background processes you don’t want at present.
- Right-click on them and choose End Task.
Delete File Explorer History
Your File Explorer saves a historical past of recordsdata and folders that you just open inside this program, from which the Quick Access window shows the current 20 gadgets. So, if there are a number of gadgets on this historical past, your file explorer can typically get caught on studying by the historical past listing. You can resolve this problem by clearing the historical past.
- Open Run.
management foldersand press Enter to open Folder Options.
- In the General tab, look beneath Privacy.
- Click Clear after which Ok.
If you possibly can’t open the file explorer, you can too use the Command Prompt to delete the recordsdata manually.
- Launch the Command Prompt.
cd %APPDATA%MicrosoftWindowsRecentAutomaticDestinationsto vary to the listing.
del *.*to delete all contents of the folder.
Scan for Malware
Many malware packages that may infect your Windows Explorer can be found on the web. So, it’s value scanning for malware everytime you encounter this error.
- Open Run.
ms-settings:windowsdefenderto open Windows Security.
- Go to Virus & menace safety.
- Click on Scan choices.
- Check Full scan and hit Scan now.
Update or Reinstall Graphics Driver
The graphics driver is liable for offering the interface for the file explorer. So points with the motive force are additionally a doable purpose for this error. You have to keep your driver absolutely up to date to forestall such issues.
- Open Run.
devmgmt.mscand press Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters and right-click in your graphics device.
- Select Update driver after which Search robotically for drivers.
If you have already got the newest model, attempt reinstalling it. Doing so will handle any bugs within the driver software program.
- Open the Device Manager and develop Display adapters.
- Right-click on the graphics card and choose
- Restart your PC to robotically set up the motive force.
You also can attempt operating the Display Driver Uninstaller to utterly take away the motive force after which set up the newest model from official web sites.
If your file explorer stops responding whereas opening specific folders, likelihood is there are corrupted image or video recordsdata within the listing. In this case, your explorer will get caught whereas checking the file to construct the thumbnail cache and show the thumbnails.
You can test whether or not this case applies to you by following the steps beneath:
systempropertiesadvancedon the Run dialog field.
- Under Performance, click on Settings.
- In the Visual Effects tab, uncheck Show thumbnails as a substitute of icons and hit Ok.
If this solves the error, test for corrupted recordsdata and get well/delete them.
If your file explorer stops responding solely when attempting to run sure functions and works wonderful in any other case, the appliance itself is problematic. In such circumstances, restore or reinstall the appliance using the steps beneath:
- Open the Run command.
appwiz.cpland press Enter to open Programs and Features.
- Locate and choose this system.
- Click Repair or Uninstall/Change > Repair.
If repairing doesn’t work, uninstall them. Then, set up the newest variations from the official web sites.
Some heavy apps can also have an effect on your File Explorer in case your system doesn’t have sufficient specs. You might want to improve it to run such functions.
Update or Rollback Windows
Some earlier Windows updates carried bugs that would trigger this drawback. While Microsoft has already resolved such points, it’s doable for some future bugs to do the identical. So, in the event you encounter the error after updating your OS, report it to Microsoft and set up any later bug fixes or updates as quickly as they’re obtainable.
In the meantime, you possibly can roll back to the earlier model by uninstalling the update.
- Open Programs and Features and click on on View put in updates.
- Search for the newest update beneath Microsoft Windows and choose it.
- Click Uninstall and ensure your alternative.
Perform In-place Repair
If you could have been affected by this problem for a very long time and former strategies had been ineffective, it’s worthwhile to carry out an in-place restore. It will reinstall the OS over your earlier set up with out affecting different recordsdata.
You want an set up software program of Windows that matches your system’s present construct and language to carry out a restore. It’s best to make use of an ISO file, as malware or different software program received’t be capable to modify its contents.
- Download and mount the Windows ISO file.
- Go to the set up drive and cargo
- Click Change how Windows Setup downloads updates.
- Tick Not proper now and choose Next.
- Click Accept and comply with the on-screen directions.
- Click Install on the ultimate web page.
Launch Folder Windows in Separate Process
This just isn’t precisely an answer. But in the event you don’t need this error to hamper all of your actions, it’s best to allow launching totally different folder windows in separate processes. This manner, even when one file explorer window stops responding, you possibly can run different windows.
- Open the file explorer and go to View > Folder Options > View tab.
- Search for and test Launch folder windows in a separate course of.
- Click Apply and Ok.
Check out more article on – How-To tutorial and latest highlights on – Technical News